Welcome! This is my journey through life.  I make daily efforts to make sure I am being the best version of myself and living the best version of my life.  Some days are great successes, and some days are a struggle.  My history with depression and anxiety will not hold me back from living a happy and full life. Read on for more info., and enjoy :)

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

"Money Doesn't Buy Happiness" ....or does it?

Food for thought - Does money buy happiness?

People often use the quote "money doesn't buy happiness" as a way to remind others that you don't need to be rich in order to be happy, and that being rich doesn't mean you are happy.

I was raised in a household with little money.  That being said, my parents owned their house, owned their vehicles, enrolled my brother and I in extra-curricular activities, had a fridge with food, etc. The little money part mostly dictated what food we put in the fridge (the cheaper kind), what kind of apparel we got for our activities (the cheaper kind), and what our family did for fun...

Now I just want to clarify here, we were not deprived in my opinion.  We had a wonderful life growing up, but my parents had to budget and be very aware of their spending, whereas I witnessed other families spend frivolously and without concern.

And in all honesty, I wouldn't have had it any other way.  I cherish and value the way I was raised so very much and I do not a "money hungry" spirit.  I feel lucky to know that my true source of happiness comes from spending time with the ones I love and enjoying life as is, without the "glitz and glamour." 

Where exactly am I going with this?  Well, I am a true believer that being rich doesn't make you happy, and I believe that true wealth is the company (such as family & friends) that you are blessed to share your life with.  BUT, there is some faults in this "money doesn't buy happiness" talk.


For example, I am extremely lucky with my family and friends in my life... but I wish I could make some purchases in life without having to check my bank account to make sure there is enough money there.  What makes me happy?  Besides family and friends...

Animals -  Ever since I was a wee one animals were my "calling" (I guess you could say)... and let it be known that animals are not cheap by any means... First you have to buy the animal + all of the starting supplies.  And I am not limiting myself to dogs and cats... I want goats and a cow and a horse.  Which in turn means I need property, which is not easily achieved on a single person's income.


Camping -  Paying for provincial campsites are not cheap if you chose to go that route - neither is all the food supplies, gas to travel there, ferry perhaps, and gear, etc.

Health - Being healthy makes me happy... being healthy is not cheap. Compromising your health to stay financially afloat is quite sad.  Obviously there are ways to achieve being healthy on a budget (which I will blog about at one point or another) but the point here is that gym memberships, organic foods, etc. do not come as cheap as the alternative... no gym, and unhealthy eating.  And we wonder why the States has obesity and "poverty" as their big issues...


Less Stress - Being as stress-free as possible makes me happy (especially for someone like myself who has lived with anxiety issues for the last almost 10 years), but my finances are always keeping me pretty wound up.  Not living paycheck to paycheck makes me happy, being able to enjoy my life comfortably.  Buy yourself a treat here and there without feeling such guilt with the swipe or your debit card.  Being able to save for my future would make me happy, and feel good.


Career - It would be amazing to make a decision about my education/professional future without the burden of finances dictating my decision. This encompasses the pay out for the education, the sacrifice of full-time wages whilst in school, and choosing a path that is financially rewarding to in-turn pay off the debt you have now just accumulated, whilst still saving for that property.. 

What brought these thoughts on?  Well this was a bit of a domino effect I suppose.  One financial frustration turned in to this lovely rant.. haha!

I have been looking in to participating in the Ride To Conquer Cancer, which is a 200 km bike ride over two days that starts in Vancouver and goes to Seattle.  As a participant you are required to raise a minimum of $2,500 towards cancer research and/or purchasing advanced equipment for hospitals to assist in treatment etc.  I was very fearful of committing to such a long bike ride, and to fundraising that much money, but I finally built enough up the confidence to pursue this idea.  I was very excited and looking forward to this challenge for so many reasons, but the one thing that is holding me back is money, of course.  Even with this wonderful, charitable cause, I still need to buy the equipment and tools in order to accomplish this goal.  Well, what do you know, road bikes are not cheap, around $1,000 in addition to the fact that you need clips, and shoes, and a trainer stand, and the apparel, and the list goes on.  So this personal challenge for a charitable event is now costing me upward of $1,000 and regardless of what it means to me, I simply do not have the money to afford that, and especially for something that I am not keen on to begin with.  Perhaps if I knew that I would enjoy biking and would become an avid biker the purchase of these items would be easier.  I suppose I will have to save, and keep a close eye on sales/2nd hand purchases and attempt next year.

I just find it to be a true shame that even the financially modest people in life (such as myself) are dictated so much by their income.  And so to a degree, money does buy happiness, and in-turn, money cannot buy happiness.

By the way, when I say financially modest, what I mean is that I am not a "money hungry" person.  I do not wish to have the biggest house, in the nicest neighborhood, with the shiniest car, filling it with premium gas, having a maid clean my ginormous house, whilst I get taught by my very own personal trainer, whilst my personal chef is making me lunch in the other room, and my nanny takes care of my children in the other room, who I buy name brand clothes for all of the time even though they are constantly growing.  
Even if I had the income, that would never be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment